Monday, January 31, 2011

An interview with a Scot...

Hey bloggers! This week I had the privilege to sit down with a person born and raised in Scotland and asked her a few questions to get the feel of her country and lifestyle
                                                             Image Source: Fiona Laurie (pictured far right)

WHAT'S YOUR NAME AND WHERE ARE YOU FROM?
My name is Fiona Laurie and I'm from Edinburgh in Scotland.


WHY ARE YOU AT BRENAU?
I'm studying at Brenau for one year on the "Georgia Rotary Student Programme", which is a scholarship to study at a university in Georgia for one year. 60 people from around the world are offered the scholarship and it is to promote peace throughout the world.


CAN YOU EXPLAIN WHY YOUR COUNTRY DIFFERS FROM ANY OTHER?
Scotland is very different from America as it is a lot smaller. Scotland is also different to other European countries. We have our own accent and words and we like to be very independent. Scotland has so much history and wherever you go in Edinburgh there is always a historic story behind it.

HOW IS THE FOOD IN AMERICA DIFFERENT FROM YOUR HOME?
America has a lot more fast food. We still have fast food but not as many variations. We also don't eat out as much in Scotland.  However, I do like eating out in America and as there are so many choices you would never be eating the same thing. Also, everything in the South is fried which is good but bad at the same time!


HOW DOES FASHION IN THE UNITED STATES DIFFER FROM SCOTLAND?
Fashion is much the same between America and Scotland. However, in America people are more casual, for example, they will just put on sweatpants and a sweater to go out. In Scotland not many people do this.


WHAT TO YOU IS THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AMERICA AND SCOTLAND?
The biggest difference between America and Scotland is the size of everything. I could drive two hours and be in England, whereas you do not even get near to leaving the state in America. In Scotland cities are much closer together and buses, trains etc make it very easy to get around. In America you need a car unless you are in a big city.


DO YOU FIND SCOTLAND TO BE MORE BEAUTIFUL IN ITS LANDSCAPE?
I am lucky to live near Edinburgh as when I am in the city I get a beautiful view of Edinburgh castle and all the history which is great. There is also really picturesque countryside around with farm animals which is pretty too. America has beautiful landscape too as there is lots of space for people to raise animals.

IF YOU COULD PAINT THE WORLD WHEN YOU LOOK OUT YOUR WINDOW IN SCOTLAND, WHAT WOULD YOU SEE?

If I look out my window I see a street of nice semi-detached houses and if I look beyond them I see big fields filled with trees and flowers. At night in the distance you can see the lights from the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment