Monday, February 7, 2011

Ageless Drinking

   Okay, so I didn't want this blog to be controversial in the least... but today when I was skimming through the BBC news, I encountered an article that read:
It just kind of clicked in my head that bar and teenager wouldn't go together in the United States. Obviously I know that the legal drinking age is lower in Europe but what I'm not comprehending is how we are any different. (This blog has nothing to do with details in the story.)
                           IMAGE SOURCE:  http://www.drinkingandyou.com/site/can/child.htm
   We all know that the US is extremely strict on the drinking laws here. We also know that for anyone to sip even a little... they would have to sneak past suspicious parents. It's strange that we are so strict when other places such as the ever fabulous Scotland has a legal drinking age of 18. Really, it is legal for a parent in Scotland to give their children alcohol in the home at the age of five.. and if accompanied by someone over the age of 18, a 16 year old can order beer, wine, ale (etc) with their meals. What I'm getting at is... they're not all turning out to be alcoholics so what is so different with us? I'm really not saying that every person in Europe doesn't misuse what is given to them at such a young age but... I feel like they don't abuse it as much as us.
   Maybe it's because in the US, the legal drinking age is so 'high' that people can't wait to use their privileges and once they're able to, they abuse them.  Maybe it's that our society is just  immature and can't handle something that could and will take away the senses if used in large amounts. Either way... It just doesn't add up to be so different. But then again... We do drive on the right side of the road. 

No comments:

Post a Comment