I have always just been fascinated with anyone who could fluently speak something other than their native language without having to strain to think about the next word. In regard to the subject of this blog, is it any wonder that I'm more fascinated with the dying language of the Scots than any other?
This is Gaelic (Gàidhlig)...
Image Source: http://www.omniglot.com/writing/gaelic.htm
Not to be confused with the other lovely Celtic languages, Gaelic is spoken by about 60,000 people throughout Scotland but also smaller cities in Canada. It is closely related to languages such as Irish, Manx, Welsh, Cornish, and Breton which were developed in various different parts of Ireland and/or Scotland.
Scottish Gaelic - Tha mi a' fuireach ann an Alba
Irish - Tá mé i mo chónaí in Albain
Manx - Ta mee cummal ayns Nalbin
Welsh - Dw i'n byw yn yr Alban
Cornish - Trigys ov yn Alban
Breton - E Bro-Skos emaon o chom
Can you see the differences and similarities between the six languages? As you go down the list, you can see the different vowel and consonant changes and it just astounds me to see how they can be so alike and different at the same time.
We obviously have 26 letters making up our alphabet but Gaelic, on the other hand, only has 18. What's neat about this tiny alphabet is that each of these letters were named after a tree or a shrub.
This song, in Gaelic, is called "Oran Balaich Eoghainn" which translates to " The Song of Ewan's Sons" and was arranged by Eilidh Mackenzie. If you want to get a feel of what the Gaelic language sounds like... this is your best bet. :]
To learn more on this language or any of the other Celtic languages, click here.

When I lived in Cambridge we learned Middle English. The lecturer made us take turns reading The Canterbury Tales aloud and lucky enough for me, I sat high enough up that he didn't come near me. It was interesting to see the text and hear it read because it was completely different. I'm not fluent in Middle English (not at all), but I might manage a syllable or two.
ReplyDeleteThat is so wonderful! My British Lit. teacher in high school showed us how English had been transformed from Old English to the Modern one we have now. It's amazing how much of a difference there is in the then and now. So many different words have been changed and/or have disappeared I kind of wonder... Where did they go and why? It's interesting that you got to experience that though! Love The Canterbury Tales by the way.(The Miller's Tale is my favorite). :]
ReplyDelete